Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The MVA


OK, so here is the bottom half of my Florida drivers license-- I had to cut it off so my DL number wouldn't be out in cyber world.
As you can tell in this picture that my license expires on Jan 12, 2009-- that was yesterday!
Last Thursday I went to the MVA in Calvert county. Parked pretty far away from the court house annex. Walked to the door, only to see the sign that says, no cell phones. I walked back to the car, put my cell inside, than back to the annex. I entered the first set of doors and see another sign that says the drivers license office is only open Mon-Wed.... OK... I guess I'll be spending my birthday at the MVA.
I go to the MVA office yesterday-- without my cell phone, thinking I will be taking a quick eye test and turning over my sunshine state license for a Maryland one, but nooooooooo! It can't possibly be that easy right? Because I am from another state I have to have proff of residency here-- like an electric bill, and two forms of ID-- one of which can be a social security card. Needless to say, I didn't have a bill or a second form of ID with me. That pretty much means I am currently driving on an expired license until I can locate my passport.
With this much trouble, I can't even imagine what my Russian sister-in-law had to go through to get a drivers license here. At this rate, I'm thinking it will be faster to hop a Southwest flight to Florida and back...

2 comments:

Danny Douglas said...

Just think of all the exercise your getting walking to and from the courthouse. Um, you could go to the DMV in Annapolis, they are open Mon-Fri. Just a thought.

kprestipino said...

From one 1972 to another...Happy Birthday!!!! I agree, try Annapolis, you should be able to get in and out fairly quickly. Over the summer my husband and I had to go to the CC Courthouse for a friend. We were running late...of course...and the same thing happened. No cell phones. There was no time to run it back to the car so we hid it in a tree and hoped for the best. Sure enough, 1 hour later it was still there. Just a thought for next time...when you have to go back to court for driving on a expired license. HaHaHa!! PS...I'm off to Disney so I will see you in 2 weeks! Kathleen