Monday, January 5, 2009

Where do they come from?

Over the last several days, I've over heard, or said one or more of these strange sayings. I had to stop and think about where they actually came from...

1. Spitting image... Hum.... again, this doesn't sound like a compliment to me... I mean, spit? All I can think of is the sound of someone hocking up a spit ball... Gee, your child is the spitting image of you...

2. Shit eating grin.... What kind of person eats shit? And than has a special grin about it? What kind of a face must you be making in order to HAVE a shit eating grin? 57 squats just because you have a shit eating grin on your face! OR Wipe that shit eating grin off your face... That doesn't even sound sanitary!

3. More than you can wave a stick at... OK, what?!? Who started this? Is there a certain number that you CAN wave a stick at? There were more people in that spin class than you can wave a stick at? I need to know so I don't try waving a stick when the limit has been met! Let's see, for me that number is ZERO... I don't want to go in waving sticks around... Who started that?

1 comment:

Tara Larrimore said...

Shit eating grin - I would best summarize this as a mischievous grin. The presence of such a grin on someone's face would indicate that this person is up to something - or, more likely, has just done something. Something devilish. Something one would want to "get away with." Something that would probably make you say "oh shit!" if you knew what it was... and you are probably just about to find out.

Spitting Image - or spit the image. An exact likeness or resemblence, just as if one person were to spit out of another's mouth. (Now I've never examined my spit to see if they were alike, but I will now)

More Than You Can Shake A stick At - Originally used in a threatening manner. Meaning there was more people than you could beat down with a club. Truthully if there was a large amount of people looking to kick my ass I'd want more than a stick, maybe like a bat or some scissors or something more leathal but thats just me.